Thursday 19 August 2010

Carpe Diem

2010 has been something of a mixed year for me. In January I developed an unexplained pain in my right elbow. By mid-July I could barely walk. After undergoing a number of tests, I was eventually diagnosed with a bone disorder and started treatment, a bad reaction to which resulted in my being bundled off to hospital in an ambulance!

Thankfully, the necessary adjustments were swiftly made and, despite falling and badly spraining my ankle when first venturing out to celebrate my returning mobility (eye-rollingly ironic, I know, but sadly grace and poise have never been among my strongest suits!), I am now on the road to recovery. It has, however, been a period of time that I am in no hurry to repeat, being mainly painful, depressing, exhausting and, whilst waiting for a diagnosis, at times rather frightening.

The one good thing about an illness like this is the new - or at least renewed - perspective that it can bring you. Certainly, as my health has returned I have found myself filled with a new resolve and a huge sense of gratitude. I have learned and remembered much, both about myself and about life in general. There are so many things that I still want to do, places that I want to visit and dreams that I want to follow.

Life is at turns beautiful and bloody, kind and cruel, delightful and disappointing. Most of all, however, it is short, precious and not to be wasted.

Time for me to set about seizing the day again, I think. So watch this space... ;-)

No comments: